We have seen big improvements in dental care in recent years. And Smile Generation-trusted offices are proud to have been a part of that. But in spite of advancements in care and technologies, many Americans still suffer from tooth loss due to gum disease, decay, or accidents. If you’re dealing with tooth loss, the good news is that dental implants can do a lot more to help you get your smile back—they look and feel more natural and let you continue to enjoy the foods you love.
Made from surgical-grade titanium, dental implants serve as artificial tooth roots for crowns. Yes, titanium—as in the 22nd element on the periodic table and the same metal used to make jet airliners is used to fuse with bone and hold a dental crown. Pretty cool! What’s more, if it can help hold a jet together, it can help you eat the foods you love from steaks to popcorn to apples and more. Bon appetit!
In addition to super-strength, there are other important benefits to dental implants:
- Durability – Dental implants have the longevity to last a lifetime. By contrast, the American Dental Association recommends you change your dentures every 5-10 years.1 And a dental bridge typically lasts about 15 years.2
- Protection – Installing implants doesn’t require filing down the surrounding teeth, which helps preserve them.
- Convenience – You treat implants the same as your real teeth—you don’t have to remove them to clean them like dentures.
What Do Dental Implants Cost?
Several factors influence cost, such as the materials used, the cost of the abutment and crown, your surgeon’s own rates, the complexity of the procedure, and your dental insurance coverage. Naturally, the cost will increase if you need more than one implant.
How Can You Save On Dental Implants?
Smile Generation-trusted offices offer two easy ways to save on dental implants, as well as other services. My Smile Dental Plan is a membership plan that lets you save up to 50% off different treatments. You can also get financing through Smile Generation Financial, which offers no interest if paid in full within 18 months on purchases of $500 or more* with your Smile Generation Financial credit card.
What Steps Are Involved With Getting Dental Implants?
Getting dental implants and crowns is a process that involves several office visits. A typical treatment plan includes:
- Initial Consultation: A specially trained dentist or oral surgeon first needs to determine if you’re a candidate for implants. Among other things, she’ll take X-rays of your mouth to get a clear view of your teeth and jaw. She’ll also make a mold of your teeth.
- Installing the Implant: After injecting you with local anesthetic, the surgeon will drill a hole into your jaw. The implant is then inserted. A temporary crown is usually attached so you have full function of the tooth. You’ll come back for your next appointment after the bone has fused with the titanium implant, which can take up to 8 months.
- Adding the Abutment: The abutment is attached to the implant in preparation for the addition of the crown.
- Permanent Crown Added: The installation of your permanent crown is the final step in the process.
Your dentist may want to see you after a certain amount of time to ensure the implant and crown are functioning properly. At this point, the implant should be working perfectly alongside your natural teeth.
Is There Discomfort With Dental Implants?
Installing implants involves a local anesthetic while getting them installed. You will feel some discomfort afterward, but this should go away as you heal. Eventually, you won’t even notice you have an implant.
What’s The Advantage Of Dental Implants Over A Bridge?
A tooth-supported bridge is a reasonable choice, but it does have a few drawbacks. It requires grinding the enamel of the adjacent teeth to cement the bridge in place. That process can lead to decay. Also, an implant is closer to the natural anatomy of the tooth structure, which helps keep the bone healthy. Finally, most supported bridges last up to 15 years, where a dental implant should last a lifetime.
Want to learn more about dental implants?
Find a dental office near you.
*Deferred Interest, Payment Required plan: Interest will be charged to your Account from the purchase date if the promotional plan balance is not paid in full within the promotional period. Minimum payments are required for each Credit Plan. Minimum payments are NOT guaranteed to pay the promotional plan balance within the promotional period. You may have to pay more than the minimum payment to avoid accrued interest charges. Valid for single transaction only. As of 07/2020, terms for new Accounts: Variable purchase APR of 26.99%. Minimum interest charge is $1 per Credit Plan in any billing period in which interest is due. Existing Cardholders: see your credit card agreement for Account terms. Credit card offers are subject to credit approval. Smile Generation Financial Credit Card Accounts are issued by Comenity Capital Bank